Saturday, August 15, 2009

ch.2, v.16-42 (fears)


This obstacle you have set in my path, o my companion,
It is a great and awful tribulation.
It looms before me as insurmountable as the summit of Mt. Mansfield.
It gapes across my pathway as terrifying as the terrible abyss of solitariness.

For unto our dwelling place
You have brought this felis catus, my greatest enemy.
Into the sturdy walls of the den of our pack,
You have brought this fugitive from the reservoir of my nightmares.




Yea, the curly coated one greets the arrival of the demon with joyful prancing
As she will greet guests arrived at our door for a celebration.
Yea, for she sees in this mutant form a soft and running thing
With which to make play and entertainment between her nappings.

But her confidence is the confidence of ignorance.
It is a blindness as when the curls of her coat grow thick before her eyes.
She sees not the needles tenfold upon the sudden paws of this beast
Nor the slicing and dicing and shredding for which they are formed.

Neither does she see that jaw of this beast tho diminutive
When unsealed does reveal row upon row of ivory razors
Sharper even than the teeth of the mouths of puppies
And formed for the tormenting of canines.

Nay, neither do the humans see with unclouded eyes
The true form of the strangeness they have brought unto our den.
They perceive not the flickering lens set sideways that does track figments unseen by us,
Nor do they comprehend this repudiation of gravity that does shake the very foundation of our physical realm.

O my companion, you do set in my path a great and awful challenge.
Behold how I do meet it with fortitude and determination
And sometimes a little bit of growling and whimpering.

2 comments:

robertavirago said...

Well, I had wondered about how that was going.

St. Frida said...

Actually, it's a lot better now that it was. The first two or three weeks were a bit tricky, but now Frida shares space with the cat w/o any issues that I can see. So this post is more a reminiscence than a current status report.